Mission Trips in Uganda
MISSIONARY SAFARIS TO UGANDA
Uganda hosts some of the world’s most mesmerizing wildlife species from the Big 5 to the Mighty Mountain Gorillas, the spectacular landscape that is comprised of Mountains, rolling hills, Impenetrable forests, Waterfalls, Savannah grasslands among others indeed reveals that what Sir Winston Churchill said about Uganda being the Pearl of Africa is true!
But in most cases to get the real understanding and picture of the country is when you really get to know the people by associating with them through different ways; some tourists go for cultural/community tours in different parts of Uganda, others come on volunteer basis as missionaries.
Are you are a Christian traveller planning to go on a mission safari to Uganda? Or are you coming on a Christian camp or retreat, Christian crusade or conference? May be, you simply want to visit Uganda for Ministry work as a way of partnering with some churches. Are you a Volunteer? Do you wish to go to Africa for a mission trip especially Uganda but you are not certain where to start from?
If you are a Christian missionary your denomination doesn’t matter, what matters is your heart towards the people you want to reach out to. You also get a chance to experience missionary-life in Uganda as well as take part in working with the churches and local communities hence making them better places to be.
Uganda as earlier mentioned is a blessed natural beauty hence a great missionary trip should not only include community or mission outreaches but also different activities such as nature walks, gorilla trekking, camping, wildlife tours, hiking, bird watching among other activities. Therefore as you plan your mission journey to Uganda, on your itinerary you could have outreaches to different places first and crown it with a 3 days safari to any National Park in the country and a city visit may be for shopping things like souvenirs and crafts.
We have listed below some of the tips including the missionary activities you could engage in when you are in the country;
- Constructing Churches in villages
- Visiting poor communities; you could also engage with them in their day to day lives and also build for them houses for shelter.
- Paying a visit to Prisons around the country; it is possible to visit prisons and also carry a few things for the inmates as allowed by the prison heads.
- Engage in supporting Children homes such as the Special Need centers and orphanages, this can be done by giving them financial and spiritual support.
- You can participate in the construction of the homes for the elderly who are not living in good conditions, and in case they already have homes you could visit them, this also gives them joy knowing that even in their old engage people still care about them.
- Visit remote communities; there are some communities in Uganda that are really remote, that they don’t have piped water, or hydroelectricity, the roads are even poor, so visiting them gives them home and gladness, it could also be away of extending the preaching of the Good news to them.
- Constructing Schools and also giving scholastic materials to students such as pens, books, school bags, shoes and many more; this will enable children that are not able to get an opportunity to acquire education.
- Constructing Water sources such as Bore holes, Piped water, such that people in those communities can also have clean water for them and enough for their animals especially those that practice farming.
- Visit different Historical Christian sites, such as Uganda Martyr’s Shrine in Namugongo and Munyonyo Martyr’s shrine.
- Visiting Refugee Centers/Camps
- Help in the construction of Health centers such as clinics, and hospitals
With all the above, we have indicated a 12–day itinerary below, to guide you on how you could plan your missionary visit to Uganda. The itinerary can be changed based on the abilities and preferences of the team. Also note that you can always crown your stay as a missionary with a Wildlife safari to any National Park of your choice in this instance we have used Murchison Falls National Park.
Day 1: Arrival
Upon arrival, you will be welcomed by your tour guide at the Airport in Entebbe, who will later transfer you the accommodation facility of your choice. You will relax at the hotel after your journey. Later have diner at your accommodation and an overnight stay.
Day 2: Mission Project Day
After breakfast, you will be briefed about how your project will go, also meet the different staff members at the project. Thereafter, proceed to where your project will be carried out, it will be a great time involving in community work. As you head out you will carry packed lunch with you which you will enjoy at your project station. In the evening return to your Accommodation for diner.
Day 3: Mission Project
This entire day will also be spent working at your project, again you will enjoy your packed lunch, that day get to know about how people live in that area. Thereafter, head back to your accommodation.
Day 4: Mission Project
In case all you managed to finalize all you had to do on the previous days, you could be allocated to another project basing on how your tour was planned.
Day 5: Mission Project
On this day, have breakfast at your accommodation and be transferred to continue with your project.
Day 6: Mission Project
On this day, you will work half day on the project, have lunch and bid farewell to the people at you project. Later travel back to Kampala that is if your mission projects where outside Kampala. You will be dropped off at your accommodation where you will relax and have dinner from.
Day 7: Go to Church or Relax
After breakfast, in case this day is a Sunday, you could go to for an early church service at any church of your choice. Later leave church and may be go for swimming and have lunch. Later in the evening, your driver will transfer you to Ndere Cultural Centre which is located along Kisasi-Kyanja road which is where you will be entertained by the performances which include different songs and dances which originate from the Uganda’s various cultures.
Transfer to Murchison Falls situated in the northwestern region of Uganda. On the way, you will be amazed at how different people carry out their day-to-day activities which is where they earn a living. You shall have lunch en route, proceed to the Park and have a short evening game drive as you head to the lodge of your choice. Check in at the lodge, have dinner and spend the night there.
Day 9: Game drive and Boat
After breakfast head out for an early morning game drive through the park, you will be able to see a number of predators and other animals such as elephants, giraffes, warthogs, Uganda kobs, water bucks, buffaloes among others. After the game drive, have lunch at the lodge and proceed for your Nile boat cruise at 2:00pm along the Nile River to the spectacular the falls. You will see a number of bird species, Nile crocodiles, hippos and other animals along the banks.
Later drive back the lodge for dinner and an overnight stay.
Day 10: Return back to Kampala
After breakfast, before you set off for Kampala. Your driver guide will transfer you to the top of the spectacular falls, take enough photos as you leave the park. Enjoy lunch en route, you will arrive in the evening.
Day 11: Shopping in Kampala
You will rest enough at your hotel and later proceed to different shops in the capital, you can buy crafts and souvenirs to carry with you as you head home. Thereafter, you can choose to spend your afternoon at leisure maybe at any leisure center like Munyonyo resort. That evening return to your hotel.
Day 12: Departure
After breakfast, you will be dropped off at the Airport for your departure flight
No matter the number of days that you spend on Mission in Uganda, all we care about is that your Missionary Outreach is a success, convenient, exciting, interesting and relevant to both you and the local people in the communities where the Mission projects are carried out.